Match report Ladies 6 March 25th

Final score: Volvera DS 4 – WaHo DS 6 (1-3)

On a sunny Saturday in march we drove, with a little detour, towards Arnhem for our match. With Wouter from Gents 3 as our coach for today we only assumed a big victory. As we drove our cars to a new build part of Arnhem, we saw a big sport center looming up the horizon. We were quite intrigued but also a little intimidated when we saw a big plastic eagle staring at us as we entered. We knew now, we entered someone else’s territory.

Last time we played against Volvera we dragged in a 4-0 victory. However, we could not recognize half of the team who was standing in front of us. Partly because the hall had really bad lighting, but they also brought in some strong reinforcement with them. As an extra the field consisted of white lines with many dazzling colored lines around it, unlike the old familiar yellow lines. We knew now that winning this match wasn’t going to be as easy as the last time. That was confirmed in the first set. From the start, it was a battle and unfortunately our battle was not without any scratches. One of our teammates focused a little too much on the ball and ran into a wall as she was trying to save it. With blood gushing down her leg, she was carried by two men off the field. As we admired her commitment to save the ball, we wanted to make our fallen teammate proud and fought back to win the set with 25-22.

The second set wasn’t our proudest moment in life. We started high in spirit, however they brought in players with a strong service and our pass wasn’t that good. It leaded to a loss of points. We did redeem ourselves and won some good rallies. Nonetheless, we lost with 19-25.

The third set was the most stressful and longest set we have ever played. It costed Wouter 5 years of his life. We were determined not to end the set as the last one and fought as hard as we could, but so did they. The tension increased and eventually the opponents got set point three times. At last the score was 27-26 in our benefit. Our wounded teammate, with a big plaster on her leg, served. Everybody held their breath. Some of us could not watch anymore. Three opponents dove on the ground to save the ball. But they could not save it, we won the set with 28-26.

As we were pretty tired and did not want to end the match with a fifth set we were determined to win this one. We started off a little slowly and had a little trouble to get back in the game. The referee wasn’t on our side this set (or the whole match for that matter). Obvious net touches from our opponents didn’t make her blow her whistle and she unfairly called our balls out. As we more and more focused our irritations on the ball we gained points. And with success, we won the set with 25-15.

After this confusing but joyful match, we had peace with a 3-1 victory. We celebrated with a lovely bittergarnituur and some cooling refreshments whilst we watched part of the WaHo Ladies 2 match. As we were about to walk outside into the Saturday sunshine, we had one last look into the eagle’s eyes and left the building as winners.